This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

FSXGET in two computers

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:57 PM
Hi everybody!
Could anyone explain me as detailed as possible how to use FSXGET in two computers, one for the FSX and the other for the GE+FSXGET??
I am using FSXGET 0.3.1 RC2 version.

Thanks a lot!
Developer
Sep 10, 2007 at 12:19 AM
Edited Sep 11, 2007 at 8:47 AM
Well, the author claims this functionality is not a part of his programme, so I discovered it by pure luck and I suppose it has something to do with sim connect, feature of FS X. My setup of server& client machine:FSX is running on server; Google earth 4 + simconnect client + FSXGET 0.3.1 RC3 are on client.

-First of all share FSX(server machine)disks or folders: complete FSX, Documents and settings\user\Application Data\Microsoft\\FSX&Dpcumentsandsettings\user\MyDocuments\Flight Simulator X files
- Install SP1A of FS X SDK and SP1 for FS X
- Configure Your firewall&router to pass port 500, check Your server&client machines are configured for I.P. networking
- On server machine configure Simconnect.xml (change only lines stated here) like this:<Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>,<Address>your server's address on the network</Address>,<Port>500</Port>
- On client machine install Sim connect client and configure the Simconnect.cfg(it will be in folder my documents) like this: SimConnect Protocol=IPv4//Address=your server's address on the network//
Port=500//MaxReceiveSize=4096//DisableNagle=0
-Start FSX Google Earth tracker and let it create file for address 127.0.0.1, start the google earth and you should get the same functionality as when tracker was runing together with FSX on one machine.

Hope this helps.
Coordinator
Oct 9, 2007 at 6:22 AM
Thanks for the setup instructions adr179,

I was gonna ask you for that, too ;-) ... as I already mentioned, maybe we can provide an easy to use automatic setup for that with some of the next FSXGET versions. Unfortunately that won't be too soon, but perhaps, anyone would like to contribute a howto article to the project page about the client/server setup?

I'd really appreciate that. So if anyone's willing to do so, please contact me!
Nov 11, 2007 at 3:37 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM
Hi,

that's a good idea to implement an easy automatic setup for SimConnect.
I try to get it working for hours, but without success :-(
I found a comprehensive description how to install SimConnect with regard to Active Sky.
http://was.hifisim.com/ASXDocumentation/networkedconfig.html

I'm at my wits end

Is it possible to use WideFS instead of SimConnect?
I'm using FSUIPC and WideFS and as far as I understand WideFS is similar to SimConnect..

Regards
Wilfried

Nov 21, 2007 at 12:56 PM
Hi,

The same problem over here. Absolutely impossible to connect through simconnect. I tried everything for hours and hours but I still end up with "FSX google Earth tracker waiting for a connection". I can see all shared folders and widefs connects immediately from the same client. Simconnect however refuses to connect

May I make the same suggestion as the last poster; can you make the next version of FSX GE tracker compatible to connect through widefs? Although the program is not free (simconnect isn't free either since you need to own the FSX deluxe version) it is in my opinion much much better than simconnect.

Regards,

Rob
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2008 at 12:48 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2008 at 5:12 PM
Hi,

thanks for your comments on running FSXGET on a computer different from the one running FSX and sorry for taking so long to respond.

Today I've released a new version of FSXGET, version 0.1 Beta 1. It includes options to easily setup for the configuration mentioned above. As you also need to make some changes to the Flight Simulator X configuration files, I've released another tiny tool which you'll have to run on the computer on which Flight Simulator is installed on. The tool is called SimConnect Config Tool and can be found on CodePlex here.

I've also update the HowTo article for setting up a configuration with two computers. You can find it here.

Feel free to give it a try and PLEASE keep on giving me feedback. Any errors, bugs, likes, dislikes, wishes?

Thanks,

Jürgen

PS: I didn't integrate WideFS so far. I've looked into it recently and to what I see, it's hardly documented and not completely available for the .NET framework. I'm note saying that it's impossible to integrate but for now it's just too much work unless anyone of you guys is volunteering! Since SimConnect comes with FSX and already supports remote connections and just is a little difficult to set up, I've decided to try to facilitate the process of setting up SimConnect. I hope that does the job, too!
Feb 17, 2008 at 11:36 AM
Edited Feb 17, 2008 at 11:37 AM
Hello Jürgen,

Many thanks for your engagement regarding your great work in implementing the possibility of running FSXGET on a different computer.
Unfortunately I’m not able to get it running. I tried it on two different systems and on both systems I get she same error. When I try to start Google Earth from the FSXGET menu “Run Google Earth 4” a popup window shows the error message “An Error occurred while trying to start Google Earth”.

Do you have any suggestions to solve the problem?

Perhaps you can email me and we can talk via messenger or Skype in order to fix it?

Regards
Wilfried
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2008 at 10:08 AM
Hi,

that seems kind of a strange problem. FSXGET doesn't try to launch Google Earth directly but to launch a KML file (which should be opened with Google Earth). Can you make sure that *.kml files are associated with Google Earth on your computer?

If unsure about that, just try uninstalling and reinstalling Google Earth.

Best regards