This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Not getting it?

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2007 at 9:58 AM
Edited May 18, 2007 at 10:40 PM
Post imported from the original forum at www.juergentreml.de/forum/

Original Author: jaywat
Original Date: November 08, 2006, 10:05:34 AM

Hi there.

This looks incredibly neat, and I want to use it, but it's just not working for me. I'm guessing there is a step I'm missing somewhere, since there doesnt seem to be much in the way of instructional documentation. I start FSXGET, have it start FSX, which it acknowledges connection to, have it start Google Earth, which it also acknowledges connection to... then... what am I missing from here on to make it work? Because FSXGET just sits saying 'awaiting connection' and nothing happens on the Google Earth map.

Is there some sort of setup to be done in Google Earth that I'm missing? Something to do with servers, I'll bet... but I'm not familiar with how this works. Do I have to be running a multiplayer session in FSX? Help!

Also, while I'm here, anyone know how I can make FSX run in a window? It really doesn't seem to like it when you switch apps!
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Original Author: jtr
Original Date: November 08, 2006, 12:01:37 PM

Hi!

First of all to your final question: Switching to window mode is easy. When you're in a flight, press the ALT button to see the menu then click "View" and uncheck "Full screen". Pressing ALT+ENTER should do the same.

And no, you don't have to run a multiplayer session. FSXGET works fine for single player. The fact that FSXGET says "Waiting for connection..." in the tooltip seems to be a bug which should be corrected in the next version. I'll have a look at this. Anyway, the icon works fine, so if this show a green symbol in the left corner it is connected to FSX and everything should work.

One question: When you run Google Earth from the context menu of FSXGET, it started and then? Die you see some entries in google earth saying "User AIrcraft", "AI Vehicles", ... and you just didn't see any items on the map or has there nothing at all?

Make sure the you have checked "Load KML file when running Google Earth from context menu" in the options dialog of FSXGET and, although is is quite obvious, be sure you have selected at least one point on the "Flight Simulator X" tab in the options dialog. If you're not querying anything from FSX, you won't see anything. But i guess that's not the reason for your problem.

I last reason i could image to prevent FSXGET from working might be a firewall running. To export the FSX information to Google Earth the only efficient way is to run a web server, therefore FSXGET has an internal server running. Of course, as long as you running both application on the same computer Google Earth is only connecting to "localhost" ... anyway, make sure your firewall is not blocking this.

So if you still have no idea why it doesn't work, would be nice if you sent me some information about your system with the next post (Windows Version, Service Pack, .NET Framework Version, FSXGET Version). Besides, if you don't mind, send me a copy of the settings.cfg file in the FSXGET program directory.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Original Author: jaywat
Original Date: November 09, 2006, 10:31:39 AM

Thanks for your reply. I think I have it all sorted now!

It seems that despite my having explicitly told my firewall to make exceptions for google earth and fsxget, my router was still silently disallowing the connection. Which I wish it wouldnt since I disabled it's internal firewall and it has a tendency to not give me any clue at all that it's the culprit. I should have realised - I've had similar problems with other software.

And I was right - it really is very neat having the two running together! thanks for such a cool little app!
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2007 at 10:02 AM

Original Date: November 10, 2006, 03:16:31 AM

Glad to here it's working fine now.

I would have been really surprised if this was a bug in my tool. "Nothing happens" is something you shouldn't find in my program. If there's a problem you normally get an error message telling you what's the problem ;-)

Anyway, if you like the tool have a look at the website every now and then. Within the next two weeks a new version should be available supporting new features such as saving recorded data to harddisk after your flight so you can view it later in Google Earth. This way you can even use the tool without Google Earth running while you're flying. Besides the next version will support loading and displaying flight plans in Google Earth (which is already implemented) and online checks for program updates / notification if there's a new version available.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2007 at 10:05 AM
Edited May 18, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Original Date: March 28, 2007, 12:04:41 PM

Note: This post is obsolete and of no interest for the discussion here on CodePlex.

Last post on this thread.

I finally managed to move this thread completely to CodePlex. The thread here will be locked and I'd really apreciate it if you continued the discussion at http://www.codeplex.com/fsxget/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=8633.